Online Advertising

Saturday, March 1, 2008

10 Questions: Spike Lee



The following interview was published by IGN.com in November 28, 2006


Acclaimed director offers IGN his faves.

- From his first feature film, She's Gotta Have It, to his latest, the Katrina Hurricane documentary When the Levees Broke, director Spike Lee has only increased his love for free expression via the art of filmmaking.

"I'll always love that filmmaking allows me to say what I have to say," Spike tells IGN. "And I'm always learning from every one of my projects. I was learning every day when I was on [When the Levees Broke], and I won't stop because I love to learn."

What else does Spike love? During our recent interview, he was game enough to give our 10 Questions a shot.




1. What is your favorite piece of music?

Something that inspires me I would have to say is "A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane.

2. What is your favorite film?

On the Waterfront.

3. What is your favorite TV program, past or current?

The Wire. If you haven't seen it, do.

4. What do you feel has been your most important professional accomplishment to date?

I think the body of work I've built over the past 20 years. 20 years and 20 films. I would say my body of work.

5. Which project do you feel didn't live up to what you envisioned?

Hmmm, that's a hard one. Looking back I'd have to say they're all good. [He laughs] No, I'm not making perfection, but I'm trying. I think School Daze could have been better. That was my evolution at the time, so I thought I could do a better job, I couldn't have done any more with it. I put everything into it. It made me a better filmmaker, but I think the movie could have been better.

6. What is your favorite book?

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison.

7. If you could change one thing about the industry, what would it be?

That studios would try to finance films where everyone doesn't have to be a home run. That they could sometimes go for some singles, doubles and triples. Everything doesn't have to be a big home run. I don't know of anybody in Hollywood executives who think that way.

8. Who or what would you say has had the biggest influence on your career?

My film instructor in college. His name was Dr. Herb Eichleberger. He recognized I had some talent, and he just really took a deep interest in me nurturing that talent.

9. What is your next project?

Selling Time. [About a man who shaves time from his life to change the worst day of his life.]

10. What is the one project that you've always wanted to do, but have yet to be able to?

I have a Joe Lewis/Max Schmeling boxing epic that I co-wrote with Budd Schulberg that's not happened yet.

I have seen two movies which were directed by Spike Lee: 25th Hour (one of my favourite movies) and Inside Man (a really good movie).
Inside Man trailer http://youtube.com/watch?v=lQppbl-VHSA
25th Hour opening titles (great music) http://youtube.com/watch?v=y6NK3BrO8u0

 
Free advertising

Solar Power