Online Advertising

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Joe Dante: "I think that 3-D has a big future"

Joe Dante, director of Gremlins, The Howling, and Small Soldiers (among others)

"I think that 3-D has a big future, if the exhibitors don’t botch it up. When [James Cameron’s] AVATAR comes out, I think people will say that it looks great. But I believe that 3-D has a bigger future than that. I don’t think it should be relegated to exploitation films or science-fiction. I think that you can do interesting things with 3-D in a dramatic situation. If you look at Hitchcock’s DIAL M FOR MURDER, the drama is incredibly enhanced by the fact that it was filmed in 3-D. And the spatial relationships between the characters, adds so much to it. Sooner or later, some Ang Lee-type guy is going to make a regular movie in 3-D: one that’s not a gimmick picture or a rollercoaster ride. And the 3-D will be a part of how he’ll tell the story. And it’s going to be good.”

From an interview about his new 3-D film, 'The Hole.'

Check also A Career-Spanning Conversation with Joe Dante

 
Free advertising

Solar Power